Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2019



"Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors" by Sonali Dev

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I loved this book SO much! However, just as in the story, it wasn't love at first sight. I was offered an advance reader copy and it took me a few days to decide if I wanted to read it. Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" has long been my favorite book of all time. How could a re-telling possibly live up to my expectations? I figured I would be constantly comparing it to the original and how could it come close? It sounded so different though that I was intrigued. Set in the modern day, an Indian Immigrant family and a gender flip for the Darcy/Elizabeth Bennet characters? My curiosity got the best of me and I jumped in. I immediately got sucked into the multi-layered story. The character development was fantastic. Trisha Raje has a huge family but each of them are richly developed to be uniquely different. I found myself sitting in traffic and wondering what they were doing - always the sign of a good book! It was different enough from the original that I wasn't comparing the two and I loved the nods to the original including a few cleverly placed quotes and the characters' names. Add to that the mouth watering food descriptions and you've got a big winner. ALL of the stars!!


Ugly Cry Potential: Low
Character Development: Fantastic! 
Learned about other cultures: Yes!
Food Descriptions: Mouth-watering
Unputdownable-ness: High

Thank you so much to Sonali Dev and the #tallpoppywriters for allowing me to read an advance copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment