Pages

Saturday, December 28, 2019


"The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love & High Adventure" 
by William Goldman

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐✰✰

This may be the first time that I preferred the movie to the book, although it is also the first time that I've seen the movie first so it's hard to say. Typically when I watch a movie based on a book, I miss the things that the movie leaves out. In this case though, I felt like the things that were left out were not necessary. I will always adore the story of The Princess Bride. Almost all of the clever quotes and phrases that we loved in the movie came straight from the text. The book also had copious amounts of interjections from the author that got to be a bit much in our opinions. We ended up skipping most of the introduction leading up to the story (didn't care for the father's derogatory comments towards his son's weight) and also skipped the chapters after the point where the movie ended. I will likely go back and read them on my own but the kids weren't interested. It appeared to be more author musings (that I found to be self-indulgent) as well as quite a few alternate endings.

Enjoyable by kids and parents: Yes
Offensive Language: Some
Violence: Yes
Age Range: 10 and up

No comments:

Post a Comment